Prolactin inhibitors are drugs that reduce the amount of prolactin in the body. The use of this type of drug is very important during the programs based on anabolic steroids, which have progestogenic activity, for example, such as nandrolone or trenbolone.
During the use of the above anabolic steroids, their molecules are attaching to progestin receptors in the body, thereby triggering a number of processes that block the action of dopamine. Dopamine – a hormone that is responsible for the production of prolactin in the body. In this regard, the level of prolactin increases, which in turn can provoke such unpleasant effects as:
- fluid retention and accumulation of adipose tissue in the body;
- significant deterioration of the hypothalamus-pituitary-testicular arc;
- depression libido;
- deterioration of sperm quality;
- atrophy of testicles, etc.
However, you need to know and understand that prolactin is an important hormone in the body. It plays a significant role in the formation and functioning of the immune system, takes part in the formation of sperm, as well as in water-salt metabolism. That is why you should always ensure that its level was within the norm (not lower/not higher).
Bromocriptine and Cabergoline in bodybuilding
Cabergoline (Dostinex) and Bromocriptine are drugs that are prolactin inhibitors. They effectively lower prolactin levels to normal by stimulating dopamine receptors. Among these drugs, the advantage on the side of Cabergoline, as it belongs to a new generation of drug. Besides, according to experts, less toxic.
- Cabergoline: 0.25 mg every 4 days (morning on an empty stomach). It is necessary to systematically monitor the level of prolactin (passing tests), individually adjusting the dosage and frequency of use, as athletes organisms react to this drug in different ways.
- Bromocriptine (a dosage of 2.5 mg active substance in one tablet): 1-5 day every day – half a tablet at bedtime; 6-10 day – 1 tablet daily (half in the morning before breakfast, the other half before bed), then reception is continued in a dosage of 2 tablets (one in the morning before breakfast, the second before bed).
Cabergoline and Bromocriptine side effects
Among the side effects of prolactin inhibitors, athletes often note appetite suppression, headaches, insomnia and nausea. Often these effects are disappear after 2-3 weeks from the moment of starting to use the drug.