Observation shows that peptides in sports have become increasingly popular in recent years among bodybuilders and those who wish to have a large body. This trend appears to be influenced by the relative difficulty of obtaining and using anabolic steroids. But what are these substances and are they really legal alternatives to steroids? What good do bodybuilders hope to receive from their use? In this article you will find answers to these and many other questions about peptides.
What are peptides?
Peptide is basically a short chain of amino acids connected together. The chain usually contains 50 amino acids or less, with an amino carboxylic end. Peptides naturally exist in the body where they are also produced. You can also get them from the food you eat.
These compounds are often confused with proteins. This is obvious because both consist of amino acids. But that’s not quite right. These two options differ in the specific composition. Peptides have no more than 50 amino acids, whereas proteins have more of them.
Peptides are small chains of amino acids that can be found in all cells of the human body. They are useful for the effective production of hormones including growth hormone (GH), which are based on proteins. Peptides have different types, including polymers, oligopeptides and neuropeptides.
Why are peptides used by bodybuilders?
Perhaps the main reason peptides are used in bodybuilding is because they improve the production of growth hormone. It’s no secret how human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) helps to improve muscle mass. Your body uses peptides to enhance the secretion of HGH. Therefore, peptides for weight gain are quite effective. It is even said that these small amino acid chains can stimulate testosterone production.
Among other reasons why bodybuilders use a program of peptides is the ability to recover faster. They help in getting oxygen to muscle cells in sufficient quantity. They also increase endurance. Peptides also help to burn fat, which is another reason why they are considered beneficial in bodybuilding.
Types of peptides
There is a wide range of peptides available. Some of them are more suitable for specific purposes – for example, peptides: mass bulking, fat burning or improving performance. The diversity of peptides on the market is classified into groups. This is usually based on their mode of action. Below are some of the most popular peptide groups.
Peptides that release growth hormone (GHRP)
These compounds can be considered as an improvement of GHRH in terms of the ability to induce growth hormone secretion. GHRP induces the secretion of a greater amount of GH in the body. Peptides that release growth hormone, produce it almost every time you take them. Peptides are also available in different types, including:
- GHRP-6. Used for muscle building, weight loss and rejuvenation. It is a very powerful peptide to stimulate the release of growth hormone. GHRP-6 also helps in the fight against inflammation. It is believed that some professional bodybuilders use it along with steroids for greater potency. The peptide not only stimulates the pituitary gland to produce growth hormone, but also suppresses somatostatin, which can inhibit its release.
- GHRP-2. It is used for similar purposes as GHRP-6. But it does not excite appetite. This can make it more ideal for people interested in improving muscle mass.
- Ipamorelin. Like GHRP-6, it stimulates the pituitary gland and suppresses somatostatin. This is not the most powerful peptide releasing growth hormone.
- Hexarelin. Even greater growth hormone release than GHRP-6 and GHRP-2.
- Hormones that release growth hormone (GHRH)
- GHRH helps stimulate the secretion of growth hormone. The duration of the induced secretion will depend on the specific type of peptide you use. Exceeding the dose, which may vary between individuals, will not improve the amount of HGH secretion. Below are a few peptides that fall into the GHRH group.
- MOD-GRF (1-29). It is known that modified GRF (1-29) is useful for stimulating muscle growth and fat burning. Also known CJC-1295, the peptide can be useful for those who want to slow aging. MOD-GRF (1-29) half-life is approximately half an hour.
- CJC 1295. CJC-1295 is basically different from other peptide in terms of how long the effect lasts. The half-life period is estimated approximately a week, making it ideal for people who want to avoid stress when peptides are often used.
- HGH Frag (176-191) is a fragment of human growth hormone. Bodybuilders mostly use it to increase fat burning, for better and more noticeable muscle growth.
The list of peptides mentioned above is certainly not exhaustive. There are many other types on the market, some of which may not necessarily be useful for bodybuilding.
How to breed peptides
We figured out what peptides are, now we need to figure out how to take peptides in bodybuilding. These substances are available in the form of powder, which must be diluted with sterilized water and administered. Injections are placed either subcutaneously or intramuscularly, but the first option is more common. It is necessary to use a syringe for insulin when administered. You should be very careful when self-injecting peptides. Make sure you don’t touch the vital blood vessel.
Harm of peptides
The side effects of peptides may not be serious, but you should consult your doctor before you even think about using them. Peptides can cause side effects of varying degrees depending on individual characteristics.
These may include:
- Itching in the area of injection
- Water retention
- Increasing hunger
- Dry mouth
- Tingling or numbness of limbs
- High blood pressure
- Weight gain / loss